Kati Basti - Ayurvedic Oil Pooling Treatment for Lower Back Pain
It is a procedure in which comfortably warm medicated oil is kept over the lumbosacral area or any adjacent part affected for a certain period of time with the help of a boundary made by dough of black gram. Proper Snehana and Nadi Swedana are performed prior to the Kati Basti. It is extremely effective in Backaches, Lumbar spondylosis. The procedure requires 40-45 minutes daily and done for 14 to 21 days.
The word Kati refers to Low back and Basti stands for retaining something inside, in this case mainly medicated oil. The procedure of applying heat to the sacral or lumbar region by retaining warm medicated oil with in a specially formed frame in this area is popularly known as ‘Kati Basti’. This is a form of giving fomentation to the localized area.
Mainly Housewives who are more prone to kitchen work get strenuous pain in their low back work due to continuous standing for a long time and lack of bending movements. Continuous sitting in one certain place also causes low back pain many times. Kati Basti is the best remedy for them.
The healing properties of herbal oils used for this basti deeply clean and fortify the blood, build strong muscle and connective tissues and lubricate the joints. This special technique is aimed at providing relief by bathing the lower back for twenty to fifty minutes.
The procedure of Kati Basti:
Prone posture – Lying down on the abdomen
- Black gram or whole wheat flour dough is kept over the sacral or lumbar region or point of pain with a paste made of special flour and water.
- Warm oil should be poured inside the circle and kept there till it is warm. As it cools you can suck out the oil with the help of a spoon, cotton, or small Turkish cloth and re-add warmed oil back into the circled area. The duration is 30 minutes. In the end, remove the dough carefully.
- Next massage the area mildly followed by local steam over the lumbosacral region. This helps the oil penetrates deep into the muscle tissues, ligaments, tendons, and bones of the back region.
- Two precautions should be taken while taking Kati Basti treatment. During the procedure, you must continue to breathe the natural way. Two, it is important to select oil as per an individual’s constitution and keep the oil temperature constant.
Concept Behind the Kati Basti:
- Ayurveda looks at each person on an individual basis and takes a holistic approach with an Ayurvedic practitioner looking at restoring all the bodily functions when dealing with back pain or musculoskeletal disorders.
- There are many different causes for back pain varying from stress, poor posture physical trauma, poor diet, and lifestyle to name a few, and for that reason, this approach is essential for a long-lasting result.
- Kati Basti is a musculoskeletal treatment for disorders that involve muscle (mamsa), ligaments, bones (ashti), vertebrae and nerves (majja). Symptoms associated with such disorders are inflammation, pain, stiffness, and restricted movements.
- One of the most commonly seen causes in today’s modern world is the increase of sedentary occupations and many hours spent sitting at a computer where the back loses its strength, with the addition of poor body posture, lack of mobility, and stress, over the years this can accumulate to severe back issues that need a specific therapy that works on a very deep level other than just a regular massage.
Kati Basti and its unique features:
- Non-intrusive and passive treatment
- Restores the alignment of the spine
- Pain-free deep tissue therapy
- Medicated oil helps to reduce toxins accumulating in the muscle tissue
- The medicated oil acts as an anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic and anti-pain
- Medicated oil helps to restore the cellular memory of the muscle tissue
- The specific temperature of the oil adds to the overall impact
- The increase in blood flow to the area aids in the healing process
- Strengthens the extremities of the body
- Completely distresses the body
Benefits of Kati Basti :
- Pacifies Vata Dosha
- Reduces pain and inflammation
- Deeply purifies and improves blood circulation around the lumbosacral area
- Removes rigidity and spasm of muscles around the lumbosacral region
- Nourishes and strengthens the bones, connective tissues, ligaments, nerves, muscles of the lumbosacral region
- Lubricates the joints
- Chronic Backache
- Degenerative spine changes
- Compressed discs and spinal nerves
- Disc prolapse
- Osteoarthritis of the hip
- Rheumatic arthritis
Not recommended (contraindicated):
In case of Open injuries in a localized area.
Kati Basti is used in management of following conditions at Panchakarma Guru Clinic
Elderly Care :
Ageing increases the risk of suffering bone diseases such as arthritis, osteoporosis or spine diseases. Kati Basti helps to strengthen the musculature and lubricate the joint.
Pain Management :
Effectively reduces lower back pain or pain arising due to condition such as spondylosis or sciatica.